Committee & Executive | Organisational
Structure | Communication | Membership | Constitution
Welcome to the Victorian Association of State Secondary Principals (VASSP).
VASSP represents and supports state secondary principals and assistant principals. Since 1956, VASSP has been committed to building the capacity of members. VASSP comprises the majority of the principal class in Victorian government secondary and P-12 schools. It has a strong regional structure, and provides services to members indicative of a proactive professional association.
A key function of VASSP is to lobby Government and relevant bodies to ensure that public schools are adequately resourced so that the educational and social needs of students can be properly addressed.
VASSP is a professional association of Principal class officers whose
prime concern is the welfare of government secondary schools and the
principals who lead them. It is deliberately and consciously apolitical
and deals with issues on their merit.
VASSP informs school leaders about current issues and provides advice to
the Department of Education & Training (DET), Government ministers
and other organisations.
The strength of VASSP is its capacity to provide each member with input
into informed discussion of current issues. The VASSP President and/or
field officers visit the 12 regional groups regularly to determine
current concerns and the best means for addressing them. These groups
provide an excellent opportunity for secondary school leaders to get
together and to discuss issues. These groups form a strong base for
VASSP organises professional development programs, including the Annual
Leadership Conference. It also assists in conflict resolution between
school leaders and school councils, staff or DET officers and provides
advice on an individual basis for members about professional issues.
VASSP employs its own staff, including field officers, who are
experienced educational leaders and who provide reliable advice to
membership is open to any person who holds a substantive Principal,
Assistant Principal or Leading Teacher position in a government secondary
school or who
is acting in one of those roles, Liaison Principals and Senior Education
Officers with principal class experience. Go to our Membership section for details.
The Association was formed by the amalgamation of the Victorian High
Schools Principals Association and the Association of Principals of
Victorian Technical Institutions (APVTI) in 1987. In 1993 the Association
attained its current form when it merged with the Vice Principals’
Click here to
find out more about membership.
The Victorian Association of State Secondary Principals (VASSP) adds
value to Principalship by supporting members to grow professionally as
leaders, representing them in policy development & implementation and
staunchly advocating for public education.
Since 1956 VASSP has been strongly committed to building capacity and
supporting its principal class members across all state secondary
schools. At the heart of the association is a strong sense of
collaboration where all members share a mutual responsibility to ensure
VASSP achieves its strategic intent.
- VASSP will effectively support members to grow professionally and personally at all stages of their school leadership by
- Providing professional and personal support, advice and information for members.
- Facilitating and encouraging the professional growth of members and their leadership teams.
- Providing opportunities for collegiality and sharing of professional practice.
- Recruiting and inducting new members.
- VASSP will effectively represent members in DET decision-making, policy development and implementation by:
- Consulting with and engaging members;
- Being accessible to all members.
- Ensuring the opportunity for involvement and commitment of members in policy development.
- Providing open communication between members and Committee/Executive.
- Influencing DET and Government policy development.
- Influencing DET and Government policy implementation.
- VASSP will be an effective advocate for public education and Principalship (principal, assistant principal and aspirants) by:
- Actively celebrating and promoting public education at state, national and international levels.
- Proudly and actively promoting Principalship and school leadership as a dynamic, proactive and inclusive professional association.
- Having a strong public voice in educational debate in Victoria.
- Proactively providing educational/leadership models, strategies and policies based on research and educational practice.
- Developing partnerships and alliances with community, state, national and international stakeholders.
of the Association belong to regional groups.
Each group has their own organisational structure, which is supported
by a centrally located executive and a field service.
Association conducts two general meetings each year, one in March and
the other, the Annual General Meeting, in November.
Executive and Committee
VASSP is governed by an Executive which consists of the president, deputy president, two vice presidents (one a principal and one an assistant principal) and three general representatives (elected from the Committee). The Executive meets on a monthly basis.
The larger, statewide Committee meets regularly and consists of all elected office bearers, six elected general representatives and representatives from the regional groups across the state. The Committee acts as an advisory group to the president and Executive.
The main form
of regular communication with members is the monthly eBulletin which typically contains a President's report as well as reports from
the Executive Officer. In addition, the VASSP office is able to email each
member when urgent communication is necessary.